Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Scorching Soup for the Hot, the Cold and the French



Man, I was so excited to post about this recipe and for more than one reason. First, it’s French onion soup. If you don’t like this dish, I’m sorry… I don’t think we can be friends. Second, it’s autumn and what better way to celebrate than with a hot pot of stock or broth chock-a-block full of veggies, noodles, grains, meat or all of the above, simmering on the stove? 


Of course, in order for a vat of steaming soup to look appealing (let alone the thought of slaving in the kitchen to make it), the weather has to be cold, no? At least chilly, in my opinion.

Thus, it is with a heavy heart I have to mention I’m watching the temperature steadily climb. It’s November 2 (have you voted?), most definitely fall, and a high of 91 is expected today. 91!

C’est absurde! C’est incroyable! (We are talking about French onion soup, after all).

It’s times like these I would have no problem packing the car, throwing in my two honeys (my husband and dog, both against their will) and moving us to the east coast, preferably a city that requires cute sweaters, scarves and boots in the autumn and winter months. The people of these towns, cities and states are begging for soup right now, not popsicles, like we are.

It’s a good thing, then, that I managed to create a batch two weeks ago when not only was it blustery and gray outside, but raining to boot. I had hopes that the last of the Santa Ana winds had paraded their ugly heads for the final time of 2010 in October and that ushering in the holidays with crisp, icy winds would be no problem. One doesn’t tend to want to drink hot apple cider (or buttered rum) when it’s scorching hot.


Moe loves cold, rainy days as well.

But here we are. And back to the most important thing: the soup.

The soup! Ahhh, it is so delicious I am (almost) tempted to close the windows, jack up the A/C and make a batch. Aside from the incredible flavor this recipe bestows upon your taste buds, it is relatively cheap and easy to make.  The only ingredient needed that costs more than $2 is the brandy, and I’m of the opinion that cheap brandy works just as well as the good stuff. It comes from this institution’s book, which will forever hold a special place in my heart as it is where Kyle and I were married last June.

I’ve included the entire recipe, but I should mention instead of serving it in the traditional manner (i.e. with gruyere cheese and bread on top of the soup and baked in the oven), I make cheese toasties and serve them on the side for dipping.

I hope your autumn is a spectacular one and I hope it is filled with bowls and bowls of delectable soup.

I also hope the temperature drops drastically. As soon as possible. But that’s just me.

Happy Eating,

Elizabeth

French Onion Soup
Courtesy of The Culinary Institute of America Cookbook

¼ cup olive oil
4 medium onions, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
½ cup brandy
1 ½ quarts chicken or beef broth (I like a combination of both)*
Sachet of 3 to 4 parsley stems, ½ teaspoon dried thyme and tarragon each and 1 bay leaf, enclosed in a tea ball or cheesecloth pouch
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 slices French bread
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook without stirring until the onions begin to brown on the bottom. Raise the heat to medium, stir, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deeply caramelized (dark golden brown). The total cooking time will be 30 to 45 minutes**. If the onions begin to scorch, add a few tablespoons of water and continue cooking.



Add the garlic and continue to cook an additional minute. Add the brandy and simmer until the liquid has nearly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the broth and sachet. Bring to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour, skimming the surface as necessary and discarding any fat. Remove the sachet and discard. Season with salt and pepper.

When ready to serve,*** preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Ladle the soup into individual ovenproof soup crocks. Top each crock with a slice of bread and sprinkle with grated cheese, covering the bread completely, and allowing the cheese to touch the edge of the crock.

Set the soup crocks in a baking dish and add enough boiling water to reach 2/3 up the sides of the crocks. Bake until the soup is thoroughly heated and the cheese is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves eight.

* For a vegetarian version, use vegetable broth.
** Feel free to brown the onions for as long as you want; the longer you brown them, the better depth of flavor you’ll achieve.
*** If you’d like to serve them the way I do, skip the remaining steps and make the delicious Gruyere cheese toasties below!


Elizabeth’s Toasties

Sliced French or sourdough bread
Grated Gruyere cheese

Place bread under broiler and lightly toast one side. Before bread darkens beyond repair, flip it over and pile a decent amount of Gruyere cheese on top. Broil until cheese melts deliciously. Serve immediately with a piping bowl of French onion soup (topped with even more Gruyere cheese, if desired).

3 comments:

  1. Great recipe, came out delish right down to the toasties. The onions did not carmelize as much as I would have liked, but that's just a good excuse for a second batch - don't think I hear anyone in my kitchen complaining about that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an Amazing Meal!!
    I will have to try this. I never have made French Onion Soup and I love it. I will brown my onions extra long like you said, just the way I like em...
    Brandy!? What...Brillant. Great idea!

    Moe melts my heart, great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a second batch today for dinner. I changed the recipe a little by substituting half of the oil for butter, and I added a tablespoon of flour to thicken it a little...turned out great!

    Can't wait for the next post!

    Love always,

    TL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...