Tuesday, August 24, 2010

For Valaree

Well, the latter half of the month of July and the first half of August came and went, and nary a post was to be had. Thank goodness for Lindsay breaking our dry spell and posting last week about ribs; now, we’re out of excuses.

But while I’m on the topic of excuses, allow me to share mine. My friend Sally put it perfectly when she said this summer I’m currently living my own version of Four Weddings and a Funeral, although, to be frank, if I could give it my own title it would be Six Weddings and a Non-traditional Memorial Service. Kyle and I were the first to get married in our group of friends, and last year ours was the only one we attended. 



The Sutherlands


A few months after we said “I do,” our friends started dropping off the singles scene quicker than a pack of summer bees dipping too close to a pool and ultimately falling in. And here we are. Over the last three months, we’ve been up and down the state of California, with each celebration unique in its own way, and differing from others in ways greater than the fact that there was a new bride and groom each time. A mini-montage of photos devoted to each couple seemed appropriate:


The Brewers

The Barcelonas

The Piersons

The McNeices

(Yes, I realize this is only 4 weddings... There are still 2 to come!)

Sadly though, it’s not the weddings I plan on speaking of today, although they were all lovely in their own right. My best friend’s mom, Valaree, died on July 9th unexpectedly, and I felt it only appropriate to devote a post to her. Why? This woman lived for cooking, eating and feeding as much as I do, and dare I say I owe a bit of my personal zest to her?

The thing I love about food, and I realize I’ve mentioned this before, is that it has an uncanny way of bringing people together. Food truly is about family and life and love because it nourishes. Valaree had a natural way in the kitchen, and she was one of the first people to demonstrate to me that going the extra mile, whether it be with ingredients, prep work or time needed to prepare a delicious feast, really does make all the difference. If you cook with love, your food is going to taste better. It’s common sense, really.

Honestly, there were many specialties I would gladly race over to her house for, and I could talk about her Caesar salad or her Greek shrimp and rigatoni (probably for hours), but it’s her salsa I feel obliged to share.


Valaree knew how much I loved her tacos and always extended an invitation to me if she was whipping up a batch. Brittany (my best friend) would call me up, and about 20 minutes later, I would arrive at their house panting and drooling with pupils dilated. The tacos themselves were pretty basic aside from the salsa, which itself is simple being made up of only five ingredients. One of the ingredients, however, was secret, and I like to think that Val would be ok with me sharing it with you today: it was beer. Dark Mexican beer, actually.


The beer has a way of not only infusing itself into the flavor of the rest, but also highlighting each ingredient on its own. I would be lying if I said I couldn’t polish off an entire bowl of this stuff. In one sitting. With just a spoon and a smile.

The salsa always tasted better in the summertime because, well, tomatoes are in season. Thus, I felt it only right to spend a ridiculous amount of money on some amazing heirloom tomatoes to honor Valaree and her dish. I would like to mention I would not have spent $9 on them (to my husband, if you’re reading this, I’m sorry… Yes, I realize we’re on a budget!), but we live in an apartment and are not able to grow our own.


These tomatoes made me groan with delight and they made it my best batch of her salsa yet (I say my best batch because I’ve never been able to make it taste quite as good as she could).

So please, celebrate one of the best fruits of summer and the life of a passionate woman all at once. Think of Valaree, make some salsa and have a taco. I’m sure she’d want you to.





Happy Eating,

Elizabeth

Valaree’s Salsa

10 roma tomatoes, chopped (any tomato will do if amount is comparable)
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup dark Mexican beer (Dos Equis is delicious, but Negro Modelo is good also)
¼ teaspoon sugar
½ cup red onion, chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients. Let sit it in the fridge for a couple of hours to really help the flavors blend.





Valaree’s tacos

Corn tortillas, fried until crispy
Ground beef cooked with garlic and a little salt and pepper
Valaree’s salsa
Guacamole (to make guacamole, combine mashed avocado, pressed garlic and salsa)
Shredded cheese (cheddar and jack are excellent)
Shredded lettuce
Ketchup

Assemble tacos with tortilla on bottom and other fixings inside. Top with a couple dabs of ketchup.*


* Really? Ketchup? Yes, really. It sounds disgusting, I agree with you, but it adds just a hint of sweetness and is scrumptious. I cannot vouch for the fact with all tacos, however.


My well-used copy of the recipe Valaree once wrote for me.


3 comments:

  1. Elizabeth- There wasn't a note of sadness in this post but I feel like crying. My heart goes out to your and Valaree's family. Such a nice way to honor her memory with your lovely words and delicious salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, a special way of honoring your friend...i especially like the way you show pics of each stage of preparation. enjoying the reads ~ h

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy recipe and love that it gives you an excuse to drink while cooking... Brit's mom must have been a cool and classy lady like us.

    Not sure about the ketchup but I shall give it a go

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...