Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Israeli Couscous



One of the reasons I love cooking is that bonds can be built when sharing food with someone else. Whenever I meet a fellow food lover, there is an instant connection I feel to that person. This was the case when I began to build a relationship with my sister-in-law seven years ago. Aside from the fact that she would eventually become a member of our family, food was the fundamental building block of our friendship.

Israeli couscous was the first recipe that E shared with me, and as soon as I tried it, I knew she was a cook that spoke my language. This was a dish I loved and could wholly relate to, and it was then that I knew we would cook well in tandem. We’ve modified it through the years, but it remains one of “our dishes.

Week after week I find myself eating the same thing for lunch everyday. This is mostly because it is thrifty to do so, and that has been the name of my game since graduating from college. But I am beginning to wonder how much longer I can handle different variations of the trite turkey sandwich. Couscous is a grain with infinite versatility. This particular recipe has a Mediterranean flavor profile. However depending on the ingredients added, it can wear different ethnic hats any day of the week. Tuscan, Greek, Spanish—you name it! Switching out ingredients for ones you better prefer only makes it tastier. 



                                     

                                     

That being said, I often use this recipe as inspiration to come up with ideas depending on the ingredients I have on hand. Make a large batch of couscous in the beginning of the week and add ingredients from last night’s dinner to make a lunch entirely different than the day before. If you have leftover salmon or chicken, either would make a hearty addition to this couscous. Also, substituting a dried fruit for the sun dried tomatoes adds a sweetness that balances the tart and salty flavors.


I should mention that in regard to the vegetables and added ingredients, you don't have to be exact in measuring... For each person's preference, the more the merrier, as the case may be!  

Happy eating,
Lindsay

Note: Raised serving plate in top photo by Lisa Neimeth.

Israeli Couscous Salad

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup israeli couscous*
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup toasted pine nuts
½ cup artichoke hearts, chopped
½ cup diced cucumber
¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, diced
¼ cup feta cheese
½ cup cilantro, chopped**
1 cup Lemon Vinaigrette (recipes follows)

First, prepare the Lemon Vinaigrette and set aside. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the couscous and toast until brown, about 3 minutes. Add the water and salt to the pot and bring to a boil. Then, turn the heat down and cover. Let simmer for 5 to 7 minutes until the couscous is tender.

Drain in a mesh strainer so the smallest grains do not slip through. Put the couscous into a bowl and immediately pour over the vinaigrette. Make sure you do this when the couscous is still hot so that the grains soak up the vinaigrette. Stir so that the vinaigrette fully coats that couscous, and put in the fridge to cool, about one and a half hours. 


While the couscous is cooling down, prepare the vegetables. Once chilled, add the rest of the ingredients and toss gently. Serve couscous cold.


Lemon Vinaigrette

Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

Combine all ingredients in the blender, or whisk by hand, until incorporated and thick.


Notes: 
* Israeli couscous can be found at most grocery stores in the grains sections. We prefer the “Harvest Grains Blend” from Trader Joe’s. You end up devouring it with your eyes before it gets to your mouth. The different grain sizes and textures make the couscous more dynamic and interesting. However regular Israeli cousous, aka pearl couscous, is perfectly acceptable.

**I've come to realize that you are either a parsley person or a cilantro person. Being that I am from California, I lean to cilantro. But parsley, or another leafy hearb would be just as great. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a great cous cous recipe and has become a side dish staple for me since linds ave me the recipe. The best part is you can always substitute the vegetables and other ingredients for what you have in the fridge. I have another indonesian israeli cous cous recipe to share with you ladies that I know you two would enjoy. We had it tonight paired with grilled shrimp and a butternut squash, ginger, and lemon dipping sauce. Wish you ladies we're here....

    http://www.kashi.com/recipes/8

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...