Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Dressing Worthy of the Gods


If I’m planning on making salad a meal, I need a bold, exciting dressing that won't leave me bored and craving the unhealthy foods I was avoiding in the first place. So when my friend Lauren and I wanted to detox Monday night after a weekend of indulgence, we settled on having greens for dinner. We had been dying to make homemade green goddess dressing for a while, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do so. And I knew just who to turn to for the recipe: Alice Waters.

I can identify most with Alice than any other chef becuase of her passion to source locally and seasonally. Her basic philosophy on food is focused on the source and quality of ingredients and using what is in season in your area. Not to mention, she does simple, uncomplicated food better than anyone. Because of Alice, I am able to enjoy a farmers market in my neighborhood every week with purveyors from every food group. To that I owe her many thanks!

I got this recipe from her new cookbook, In the Green Kitchen.  It focuses on basic techniques that are translatable for any cuisine. Her “green kitchen” is equipped with only sharp knives, a few pots and a hot plate—perfect for me, as my kitchen is very, very modest.  Another great cookbook from Alice that Elizabeth and I both adore is The Art of Simple Food. We highly recommend both.

As I’m not the biggest fan of tarragon, I was concerned that the amount would be overpowering, but I found it to be perfect: Alice got the ratio of herbs just right. However, cooks should always make recipes their own, and this time is no different. Feel free to play around with the herb combinations in this one. 

Green Goddess Dressing is wonderful with hearts of romaine. I love the crispness of this green. When I made it, I cut the hearts of romaine in half, carefully stacked two on each plate and poured over the dressing. It would be delicious with any type of lettuce.

*Plate in top photo by Lisa Neimeth. For more information on her pottery, visit http://www.lisaneimeth.com/

Happy eating,
Lindsay


Green Goddess Dressing
Adapted from In The Green Kitchen

1 shallot
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 salt-packed whole anchovies
½ ripe avocado
¾ cup olive oil
½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
3 tablespoons chopped tarragon
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped basil
Fresh-ground black pepper
Salt
3 tablespoons chopped chives

Peel and finely dice the shallot and garlic, and in a medium bowl, grind in the white wine vinegar and lemon juice.* Rinse, bone and finely chop the anchovies and add to the bowl. Add avocado flesh and mash the mixture with a fork. Using a whisk, gradually incorporate the olive oil and cream. Pour each into the bowl in a small stream as you whisk so they will fully mix..

Stir in the parsley, tarragon, cilantro, and basil, and add a few grinds of pepper and a pinch of salt. Taste and add more salt or vinegar to your preference.

* I did this step using a mortar and pestle. I found that the flavors were better released. If you don’t have one, mixing them in a bowl is fine—just make sure that the garlic and shallot are very finely minced so that the eater does not bite into larger chunks of either.

1 comment:

  1. This dressing recipe goes a long way and I was lucky enough to take some to-go! (thanks Linds)I just enjoyed this dressing on a bed of spinach with tomatoes. Feel free to mix it up because trust me, this dressing is good on anything!

    <3 Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...